Homemade Shepherds Pie. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is made with saucy ground beef base, vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes. It's a hearty make ahead meal for busy weeknights or Sunday dinner! It's Ashley here from The Recipe Rebel, sharing one my favorite comfort food dinners.
Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. American favorite shepherd's pie recipe, casserole with ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, corn, and peas, topped with mashed potatoes. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. You can cook Homemade Shepherds Pie using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Shepherds Pie
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 2.25 lbs of hamburger.
- Prepare 3-4 of large potatoes.
- It’s 2 cans of whole kernel corn.
- You need 1 package of cream cheese.
- You need 1 half of cup of milk.
- Prepare 1 of 13×9 cake aluminum cake tin.
- Prepare 2 cups of shredded four cheese, cheese.
Aka Homemade Shepherd's Pie with ground beef. One that's simple and affordable and delicious. It is the best ️ Feel free to use ground lamb in place of the beef for a more authentic version! Lamb tends to be more fatty, so drain it after browning if you prefer less fat.
Homemade Shepherds Pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes so there's no skin. Then cut them into medium cubes..
- Take an onion and chop it into tiny pieces..
- Cook the 2.25 lbs of hamburger with the chopped onions in the hamburger as you're browning it. Takes about 7 minutes to brown the meat with the tiny pieces of onion for flavor..
- While you're browning the hamburger and onions, boil the cubes of the potatoes on another burner to save time. Boil until you take a piece of potato out and take a fork and see if it mashes easily with the fork. Takes about 10 minutes to make the potatoes soft enough to mash with a fork.
- After the meat is browned. Spread the hamburger at the bottom of the aluminum tin to make the bottom layer..
- Then strain the potatoes out of the pot. Then put the potatoes from the strainer into the pot you just used. Then put in the pot the 1/2 cup of milk and take a fork and mash the potatoes. Keep mashing with the fork and stirring the potatoes. When they're all mashed if it's not the consistency you want if you want it more watery then add more milk..
- After the potatoes are the right consistency, add the cream cheese not all at once but in bits and taste while you're adding to get the flavor of the potatoes that you want..
- Take the 2 cans of corn and make a layer of corn over the hamburger in the cake tin..
- Take the potatoes that taste the way you want and spread it on top of the corn. To make a layer that doesn't mix with the corn, pour the potatoes in clumps all over the corn and then carefully spread the potatoes to make the top layer..
- Take the 2 cups of shredded cheese and layer the top of the potatoes..
- Take the tin with the shepherds pie and put it in the oven at 325° for 20 minutes or longer if you want the potatoes browner..
- Then eat and enjoy. Great meal that doesn't take too long!!.
One of the most iconic comfort food meals you'll ever enjoy is this authentic shepherd's pie recipe. A common casserole that originated in the UK, a shepherd's pie is that all-in-one meal that includes richly seasoned beef, vegetables, and a lovely light mashed potato topping. Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie would actually call for ground lamb. The difference between Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie is the meat. Cottage Pie uses ground beef, while Shepherd's Pie uses ground lamb.