Spicy fried plantain (kelewele). Kelewele Recipe (Ghana – Spicy Fried Plantains) Kelewele (pronounced Kay-lay-way-lay) is a popular Ghanaian dish made with fried plantains seasoned with spices. It is often served with rice and bean stew or alone as a vegetarian dessert or snack. Kelewele (Kele-wele) are flavorful fried plantain cubes.
Originally from Ghana, kelewele have been popularized in America by several Kwanzaa books and websites. Kelewele is a traditional Ghanaian side dish or snack of spicy fried plantains. Typically sold by street vendors, you can also cook these yourself and serve with stew or simply eat them on their own. You can have Spicy fried plantain (kelewele) using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spicy fried plantain (kelewele)
- You need 4 of large ripe plantains.
- It’s 1 tbsp of paprika.
- You need to taste of Salt,.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ginger powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.
- Prepare As needed of Vegetable oil, for frying.
Kelewele is spicy fried plantain, a delicious and moreish street food which is popular in Ghana. This dish is like dodo (fried plantain), which is popular in Africa and the Caribbean, but the addition of spices gives a kick, which takes the taste of kelewele up a notch. Kelewele or Spicy Fried Plantain cubes is a popular and well-loved Ghanaian food and it's a winner recipe because all the ingredients used for making it are all pantry spices. Typically the spices used to make these Spicy Fried Plantains are Onions, Ginger, cayenne pepper, and salt.
Spicy fried plantain (kelewele) step by step
- Wash and split all the plantains. Next, in a large bowl, diagonally cut the plantains into bite sizes..
- To season, pour in the paprika, salt, ginger and nutmeg and finally the lemon juice. Mix thoroughly to combine. Leave on the counter for 10 minutes..
- In a large saucepan, pour in some vegetable oil and heat it up on medium high heat, to check for hotness, put in the oil, a piece of onion, if it starts to fry, the oil is ready, with a spider spoon, scoop and pour the plantain into the oil. Fry for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to medium low and fry for another 5 minutes. Time may vary so fry till golden brown. When fried, take it out and put in a colander or a bowl lined with tissue paper to absorb any excess oil..
- Serve with your favourite rice dishes or as a snack with some peanuts. Happy Frying!.
However, spices like Anise, Cloves, Cinnamon, cardamom pod, and Nutmeg can also be used depending on. Kelewele or Aloco (Spicy Fried Plantains) – African spicy fried ripe plantains that is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Goes well with peanuts and as sides for any protein. West Africa boasts a wide selection of fried plantain recipes ranging from simple plantain chips to the mouth-watering Kelewele. Spicy Fried Plantains (Kelewele) – Ghana street food at its best!.