Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars). Stir all Caramel ingredients together except vanilla in heavy-bottomed saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. (Caramel may be speckled with brown bits.) Pour caramel over baked crust and spread evenly (mixture will be very hot). I received many wonderful family recipes but, in the end, these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Squares of Scottish origin won me over.
However, it is believed that the name actually came from Scotland. There are many names for this treat: caramel squares, millionaire's bars, caramel shortcake, or caramel slices. If you think about it, Twix bars are also a Millionaire's Shortbread! You can have Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars) using 15 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars)
- Prepare of For the shortbread crust.
- Prepare 3/4 cups of unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks).
- You need 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- You need of For Caramel Layer.
- Prepare 1 (14 ounce) of can sweetened condensed milk.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- It’s of For Chocolate Layer.
- Prepare 4 ounces of good quality milk chocolate, I used Lindt Excellence Extra Creamy Milk Chocolate, chopped.
- It’s 2 ounces of good quality semi sweet bar chocolate, chopped.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of salted butter.
- You need 1/2 cup of English toffee bits, I used Heath enlist toffee bits.
Imagine a gourmet version of the famous Twix candy bar. Spread thickened mixture on top of baked shortbread. Scottish shortbread is a buttery, crumbly cookie that melts in your mouth. Topped with thick caramel and chocolate and you have Millionaire Shortbread Bars. #cookie #caramel #chocolate #millionaire #shortbread Shortbread should be slightly cooled- mine usually goes from the oven to the freezer and sits for about ten minutes before I pour on the caramel.
Millionaire Bars (Caramel Shortbread Bars) instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 8 by 8 baking dish with foil with sides extending over the edge for easy removal of bars. Spray foil woth non stick spray.
- Make Shortbread Crust.
- In a bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and salt and beat just until the dough forms clumps.
- Press onto prepared pan evenly and bake about 25 to 30 minutes until light golden.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make Caramel Layer.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk in to a heatproof bowl and stir in salt and vanilla.
- Place bowl over simmering water, cover with foil and cook until a golden caramel forms about 60 to 90 minutes. Stir occasionally and check to be sure the water level is ok..
- Remove from heat and beat until smooth with a whisk..
- Spread caramel over cooled shortbread crust. Let caramel firm up about 60 minutes before adding chocolate layer.
- Make Chocolate Layer.
- Combine both chopped chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl, microwave carefully until just melted then stir smooth.
- Let sit about 5 minutes to cool a bit then pour over caramel layer.
- While chocolate is still warm evenly top with Toffee bits.
- Let chocolate set before cutting g into bars. Refrigerate for easy cutting. To cut remove entire shortbread from pan in one piece, then cut. Store in refrigerator or freeze individual bars for layer.
It will not ruin the shortbread, I promise. Sprinkle everything off with a scattering of sea salt and you have a decadently rich treat that lives up to every penny of its lucrative name. While the shortbread base cools, make the millionaire bar filling. Heat the butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk over medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Stir frequently, and allow the mixture come to a gentle boil.