Chickpeas and Rice. Remove from heat and mix rice and chickpeas together until rice is a golden color. Mix in remaining butter (cubed) and Parmesan cheese. That being said, I still love the concept of cooking rice with a bunch of other super flavorful ingredients in one pot, so this Spanish Chickpeas and Rice, which is loosely based on paella, was born.
These lemony chickpeas and rice are so easy to make. All you do is throw everything into a pot heat it up, then cover and walk away while the rice cooks. I often use white rice, and did so here, because I want my food sooner rather than later. You can cook Chickpeas and Rice using 4 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chickpeas and Rice
- It’s 1/2 cup of Brown Rice.
- Prepare 1 cup of Chickpeas (dry).
- It’s 6 stalks of Parcely.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Red Thai Curry Paste.
This Smoky Spanish Rice & Chickpeas recipe is one of my new favourites! It's also a great one to break out when you have company that have allergies, or vegan or gluten-free…the list is endless! A vegan, a carb-free eater and a birthday boy walk into a bar… Oh, no wait, they walked into my house. Brown rice is one of the healthiest varieties of rice, and unlike white rice, it doesn't need to be enriched with nutrients.
Chickpeas and Rice step by step
- Prepare chickpeas per instructions on package….(Rinse, soak overnight, rinse again, then simmer on med-low for 65-70 min.) I will sometimes use my INSTANT POT and cook them straight from the package in 40min.
- Cook the Brown rice per instructions on package…(Rinse then add rice, water and dash of salt to pot. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on low for 45min.) My general rule is do not lift the lid during this time and to watch the bubbles inside the pot. Once the bubbles are gone then the rice is done.
- Combine chickpeas and rice in a bowl. Mix in the Red Thai Curry Paste.
- Layout the rice pulse mixture onto plate then add parsley and serve.
- (Optional) change it up and add a hard boiled egg and broccoli with a side of Brussel sprouts.
- (Optional) add some extra red curry paste with sauted mushroom, onion and diced tomatoe, salt and pepper to taste.
Combine brown rice with legumes (like chickpeas), and you have yourself a complete protein that contains all nine essential amino acids. This recipe uses cooked brown rice, but feel free to substitute white rice. Cooking time does not include the time to cook the rice. The spicy in the title doesn't mean hot, but simply full of flavor and seasonings. When the sauce begins to bubble, add the rice.