Sausage meat Plait. Find Deals on Meat Sausage in Groceries on Amazon. Tuck the top and bottom edges of the pastry over the filling. Starting at the top, lay the pastry strips over the filling, taking one from each side, to cross like a plait.
When cool, add the pork mince and sausage meat to the breadcrumb mixture; mix well. Line a large baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Remove from the oven and serve either hot or cold. You can cook Sausage meat Plait using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sausage meat Plait
- You need 200 grams of pack shortcrust pastry.
- It’s 400 grams of sausagemeat.
- You need 100 grams of ready cooked chestnuts.
- It’s 2 of banana shallots.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic.
- It’s 4 of smoked bacon rashers.
- It’s 100 grams of pitted prunes.
- It’s 1 tsp of mixed spice.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 of beaten egg.
Add the sausage meat down the centre of the pastry length ways. From the top overlap a strip on each side – right to left, left to right and so on until you've reached the bottom. Place the sausage mixture down the middle of the long length of the pastry. Starting at the end nearest to you, fold the pastry alternately over each other, to give a 'plait' effect.
Sausage meat Plait instructions
- Set temp to 180°C ( fan oven ).
- Prepare a baking tray by greasing and flouring or lining with parchment/greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the spices to the sausage meat and mix well. Add freshly ground pepper and a grind of salt..
- Roughly chop the prunes and the chestnuts and add to the sausage meat..
- Fry the chopped bacon until golden, then add the chopped shallots and the crushed garlic. Cook until soft. Add to the sausagemeat and mix well..
- Roll pastry on a floured board to about 3mm thick..
- Fold the pastry into thirds and crease lightly. Open out flat and cut the outside thirds diagonally from the edge to the crease..
- Fill the middle third with the sausage meat mix and press flat..
- Lay the outside pastry flaps over the filling and tuck in at the top and bottom..
- Place the plait onto the baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Cook for 12 – 15 minutes..
- Leave to cool slightly before slicing. Good with a jacket potato and broccoli or on its own!.
For the puff pastry, combine the flours and salt in a bowl. Put the sausagemeat lengthways down the middle of the pastry, then cut the pastry into strips, at right angles to the sausagemeat, all the way down. Cross the strips in a lattice over the sausagemeat to cover it. Gentle pat the pastry strips with a finger to bring together. You can leave the sausage rolls whole or slice into individual rolls or do a little of both.